This lightened up Hen Divan created from scratch with no canned soups. Simply layers of tender hen breast and broccoli in a flavorful creamy, cheese sauce topped with golden breadcrumbs.
In case you’re in search of a more healthy model of this basic casserole dish, look no additional! This lighter Hen Divan is decrease in fats and energy, however nonetheless filled with taste. Produced from scratch with no canned soups. Prep it forward then pop it within the oven till sizzling and bubbly at supper time, your loved ones will thanks for this!! Casseroles are extremely requested makeovers, so I attempt to publish a couple of new ones every year. Some favorites are Manicotti, Broccoli Mac and Cheese, Shepherd’s Pie, simply to call a couple of. Put in your requests right here if in case you have a favourite.
This wholesome model of Hen Divan is loaded with protein from the hen, fiber from the broccoli! It’s a preferred and comforting American dish good for potlucks, household gatherings, or weeknight dinners.
What’s Hen Divan?
Hen Divan is a basic American casserole that sometimes options hen, broccoli, and a creamy sauce. It’s believed to have originated within the Nineteen Thirties on the Divan Parisien restaurant in New York Metropolis. The dish is known as after the restaurant and the phrase “divan,” which suggests a protracted, low couch and not using a again.
The basic recipe for Hen Divan sometimes consists of cooked hen, steamed broccoli, a wealthy and creamy sauce made with numerous mayonnaise, bitter cream, or cream of mushroom soup, and a topping of cheese and breadcrumbs. The casserole is often baked till golden brown and bubbly.
A More healthy Hen Divan
At the moment, there are a lot of variations of Hen Divan. My model makes use of lighter elements, which additionally has a gluten-free choice. To make a vegetarian model, you should utilize tofu or different hen substitute.
Whereas most recipes name for canned soup, and much more fats, this recipe has been considerably lightened as much as keep it’s taste with out all of the added fats.
How To Freeze
- First, ensure that the casserole has cooled fully earlier than freezing. You may both freeze the whole casserole, or portion it into particular person servings for simpler reheating.
- Subsequent, wrap tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, after which place it in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag. Label the container or bag with the date and contents so you may simply determine it later.
- Once you’re able to reheat, thaw it within the fridge in a single day, after which bake it within the oven at 350°F for 30-40 minutes, or till it’s heated by and bubbly.
- Be aware that whereas freezing might help to increase the shelf lifetime of the dish, it could additionally trigger the feel of the broccoli to change into a bit softer and the sauce to separate barely. Nonetheless, these modifications shouldn’t have an effect on the general taste of the dish.
You may freeze Hen Divan for as much as 2-3 months or refrigerate for as much as 4 days.
What to serve with Hen Divan
Hen Divan is a hearty casserole that may be served by itself as a fundamental dish, or paired with some complementary sides to make a extra full meal. Listed below are some facet dish choices:
- You can also make this faster through the use of leftover rotisserie hen breasts, or precooked hen breasts.
- Can you employ frozen broccoli? Sure, in fact you may, however nothing beats the flavour of recent broccoli in my view.
Extra Hen Recipes
Yield: 6 servings
Serving Measurement: 1 2/3 cup
Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with olive oil spray.
In a big skillet, over medium warmth add 1 teaspoon olive oil and garlic and prepare dinner 30 seconds. Add the broccoli, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, 1 tablespoon of water and canopy.
Let the broccoli prepare dinner till tender crisp, 3 minutes. Switch to the baking dish.
Pound the thicker finish of the hen breast to make it even on each side. Brush mayo on the hen and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper, to style.
Warmth the skillet over medium warmth, when sizzling spray with oil and prepare dinner the hen till nearly cooked by, about 5 minutes on either side.
Take away from warmth and switch hen to a reducing board. When cooled, slice hen into chunk sized items.
Cut back the warmth of the skillet to medium warmth. Add the butter and remaining oil till melted after which add the shallots and prepare dinner till tender, 2 to three minutes.
Sprinkle the flour prepare dinner, stirring about 1 minute. Whisk in broth, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt and sherry and produce to a simmer about 1 1/2 minutes on low. Take away from warmth and stir in half of the Swiss cheese.
Pour half of the sauce over the broccoli and blend to coat. Organize the hen on high and canopy with remaining sauce.
Sprinkle the remaining Swiss cheese, grated Parmesan and high with breadcrumbs.
Spritz a bit oil on high. Bake half-hour, till sizzling and golden.
Please go away a score and remark letting us know the way you favored this recipe! This helps our enterprise to thrive and proceed offering free, high-quality recipes for you.
Serving: 1 2/3 cup, Energy: 387 kcal, Carbohydrates: 22 g, Protein: 42 g, Fats: 14.5 g, Saturated Fats: 5.5 g, Ldl cholesterol: 112 mg, Sodium: 606.5 mg, Fiber: 3.5 g, Sugar: 5.5 g